Thursday, September 3, 2009

Shedding =(

So my hair just seems to be shedding more than usual. While putting it a bun today, finger combing as usual, I ran my hand down my hair and about 15-20 hairs came out. Ok, I know people will said this sounds normal but nope. Not for my hair. My hair only sheds on wash day when I finally detangle OR when it is dirty which it almost never is anymore since I wash 2 times per week OR when it needs a relaxer which it currently doesn't.

So let's learn a little...
________________________________________
From Associated Content

In its truest sense, shed hair is hair that has reached the end of its growing cycle and naturally falls from the scalp along with its tiny, white "root" attached. This is not the actual hair root that is secured deeply within your scalp, but it is the bulb root or base of the hair strand found on the scalp-originating end. It appears white because the hair stops producing melanin (color) at the point in its growth cycle right before it gets ready to fall. If your actual hair root came out along with the hair, you would no longer be able to produce hair from that same place on the scalp ever again! If a hair does not possess this white root bulb, then it is not a naturally shed hair, rather, a broken one. Shed hair tends to be longer in length than broken hairs which are generally short pieces of varying lengths. After a hair is naturally shed, it may take about 130 days for a new hair to fully emerge in its place.

In general, shedding should not be a major concern for you and should be seen as a sign of a healthy, normal, functioning scalp. There is no need to fear shedding unless it is tied to a medical issue. If you notice rapid hair loss from shedding or hair loss accompanied by a host of other problems, please consult a medical professional. Most shedding, however, is simply nature taking its course.


What can I do about shedding?
You must understand that because shedding is a natural, internal process, it may not respond to topical, external treatments. Some have praised garlic shampoos or "garlic scalp rubs" for reducing shedding, but there has been no clear consensus on the effectiveness of garlic as a remedy for shedding. Shedding is also not easily solved by protein or moisture treatments because it has nothing to do with the hair shaft itself, but is a response to hormonal influences on the hair follicle and is dependent on growth cycles. When a hair completes its life cycle, which generally last s 4-6 years, its final act is the shedding we experience. This cannot be prevented.

Also, our hair naturally cycles in and out of seasonal shedding phases which may last days or weeks at a time in some individuals. Research suggests that peak shedding rates occur during the fall season. A healthy head of hair may shed as many as 50- 100 hairs per day, though I personally believe this amount to be a grand stretch. You should be concerned if your shedding suddenly increases to a rate that was uncommon to you before, or if the shedding seems to be prolonged over the course of several weeks or months.

Do keep in mind that there are special periods in the human life cycle where shedding is naturally increased. For example, women who are undergoing a bout of postpartum shedding after having a baby may have to deal with increased shedding for several months until their normal hormone levels return. Other conditions which may increase your shedding rate are:

*styling methods that place stress on the follicles
*birth control/menstrual cycles/menopause
*pregnancy
*heredity (runs in the family)
*crash dieting/ low protein diets, poor diet

*illnesses with high fever as a prevailing symptom

*anemia, thyroid disorders, and a host of other chronic disorders

* certain medications and major surgeries and treatments like chemotherapy

Please consult with a medical professional to diagnose any prolonged, abnormal shedding or other unusual scalp conditions.

________________________________________
I see some things that could be the cause of my shedding on that list like styling methods my hair endured on vacation, and maybe my diet which isn't always the best (I'm a pro-sugar and anti-veggies).

I guess I carry on taking care of my hair the best I can, drink lots of water, and get back to taking my vitamins...
***remember shedding is NOT breaking***


2 comments:

  1. Hey sis!!! Found your blog!!!! Woot! Woot!
    Girl, I'm in the same boat as you with the shedding thing, but I believe it had something to do with the medication I was on. Since I've been off (just recently) my shedding rate has decreased dramatically.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooo Yea!!! I am so glad you are here! Welcome =)

    ReplyDelete