I saw Sunshyne posted a lovely list over at Hairlicious Inc and I thought, do I have a top 10 methods and products that I think took me to APL or made 2009 a great hair year? So I made an effort to synthesize my rambling into a learnin' to grow piece...it's been awhile since I did one of those.
Shar's top 10 methods that made 2009 a successful hair year!
10. co-washing instead of shampooing. when i first tried this, i thought what the heck am i doing? but now, it's a fav thing of mine to do
9. detangling once a week. i used to wrap my hair every night, even when the roots were crazy and the hair was dry (i didn't always moisturize and seal) and it used to shed and break all over the place. now i don't pull at my hair so often - no wrapping nightly and just finger combing - so less stress which equals less breakage.
8. moisturizing and sealing. never ever ever has my hair felt and looked so good. just a little goes a loooong way.
7. protective styling. this includes protecting my ends by bunning and protecting my hair by covering it from harsh weather with my scarf then hat to protect it. i'm the queen of bunning now.
6. oils and honey in my deep conditioner. i can amp up a cheapie conditioner like lustrasilk with honey and my fav oil (jbco or coconut or hot six or carrot oil) and get fantastic results similar to when i use my pricey stuff.
5. deep conditioning on dry hair. it has saved me so much time plus it allows me to get deep conditioners in when i would usually skip it.
4. scarf method to tame my new growth. thank u sunshyne! what a gem this trick is. when my hair is past 5 weeks, i tie it down every morning with my bun. by the time i'm at work, it is flat and neat. love this!
3. the big switch to lye relaxer. all my life it has been ingrained in me that no-lye is the way to go. i thought i was going to lose my hair the first time i tried lye relaxer. who would have known that was precisely what my hair was asking for?
2. just plain ole learning about my hair. the need for protein-moisture balance, learning of the existence of a clarifying poo - my hair had never be clarified before...thats over 20 years! then how to overcome hair crises; case in point? henna. the importance of doing things the right way; case in point? henna lol. oh! and drying my washed hair with a cotton tshirt :)
1. stretching. never. i mean never ever ever had i stretched past 6 weeks. from my first relaxer at 10 till i was 19 i was relaxing every 5 weeks then from then till dec 2008 i was relaxing every 6 weeks. can u imagine my surprise when i stretched 8 weeks and my hair didn't fall out??? amazing. then 9? and 10? i have no great stretching ambition but i am so so grateful to sunshyne and her blog and the motivation it gave me to go out there. now, it's not scary at all. don't know why i wasn't doing this all along lol.
Shar's top 10 products that made 2009 a successful hair year!
10. herbal essences long term relationship conditioner and leave in
9. wave nouveau finishing lotion
8. elasta qp mango butter
7. motions nourish leave in conditioner spray (for my scarf method buns)
6. sealing oils - hot six, coconut, vatika, carrot
5. JBCO in moderation :)
4. my big tooth shower comb
3. aphogee 2 minute reconstructor
2. mizani butter blends relaxer line
1. all my fav deep conditioners - alter ego garlic conditioner, and my honey, oil and cheapie mix (aussie moist is dear to my heart...can't seem to find it much anymore)